Margaret of Austria, Queen of Spain, was the first person to see the statue enter the chapel, an encounter described by a contemporary chronicler as a meeting between the "only Queen of Heaven and the only Catholic Queen on earth". After hymns in Latin and English, the College dined at the Queen's expense.
After nine days of celebration, the Bishop of Valladolid gave the image the title of Santa Maria Vulnerata (St Mary, the Wounded One). The sorrows she had suffered proved an inspiration to the college students, who faced possible martyrdom after their ordination as priests for the English Mission.
Every week since 1600, the St Alban’s community has prayed in front of Our Lady Vulnerata, offering reparation for the wounds inflicted by the English sailors.
In October 2000, the college celebrated the 400th anniversary of Our Lady Vulnerata’s arrival. Reversing her journey of 1600, she left the chapel in a procession to the city’s cathedral, where Mass was celebrated by the late Archbishop José Delicado Baeza, accompanied by four English bishops, the cathedral chapter and many old boys.