8. The same child was later cured, thanks again to Our Lady Vulnerata, of measles and smallpox.
9. Almost equally dramatic was the cure of Jacinto Sánchez de la Puebla, a secretary of the Royal Chancellery. Paralysed in his hands and legs, he was bed-bound for nine months and offered a novena to the Vulnerata. His health gradually improved until he was well enough to be carried to the college chapel in the arms of two men who left him sitting there, unable to move.
10. On the sixth day he asked for a walking stick, and, without any other help, walked through the chapel. He then returned home, leaving the crutches brought to support him behind in the chapel. That was not his only miracle – Don Jacinto lost his sight after an accident in 1642 and his wife, Antonia de Torres y Zárate, started a novena to Our Lady Vulnerata. She completed it in the college and returned home to find her husband cured. Don Jacinto left his own testimony, which was included in Father Mendiola’s book.
11. There was an unexpected sequel to Don Jacinto’s healing. In 1653, An 18-year-old boy who worked as a servant for his relatives developed a tumour in his legs that left him paralysed. He asked his mistress to visit the college and kneel in front of the Vulnerata and request a Mass for his health. She was also to bring back the crutches that were hanging up in the college having been left by someone who had previously been cured. The young man took the crutches and promised to come to the seminary if he recovered his health. According to the rector, this happened four days later.
12. Many further reports of miracles associated with Our Lady Vulnerata followed over the years. As recently as the 1950s, a student of the college, Father Brian Jones, claimed to have been cured of a deadly illness after his fellow students ignored the rector’s orders for them to leave the college buildings so he might die in peace and instead prayed for his recovery in front of the Vulnerata. Several hours later Father Jones awoke cured to the astonishment of his doctors.